Timeserver sending wrong time to Windows Clients

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Fri Mar 23 12:00:32 GMT 2001

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> David Rankin wrote:
> >
> > Help Andrew! and whoever else..
> >
> > I have a Linux Mandrake 7.2 box with Samba 2.07 acting as a timeserver
> > for our local lan. We are in the CST timezone. All windows boxes sync
> > thier time from the Linux box via: net time \\Nemesis /set /yes. I would
> > like to have xntp keep the clock on the server updated.
> >
> > Problem:
> >
> > ntpdate and xntp work great at setting the Linux box hardware clock to
> > GMT.
> >
> > The problem I am having is that my windows clients do not get the right
> > time no matter what I set the zoneinfo or timezone or Linux system clock
> > to. It almost appears that my zoneinfo of [America/Chicago] adds 6 hours
> > to GMT instead or subtracting 6 hours to get the correct local time.
> >
> > If the hwclock is set to GMT and zoneinfo is set to [no selection], the
> > windows boxes get GMT. (i.e. correct time + 6 hours).
> >
> > If the hwclock is set to GMT and zoneinfo is set to [America/Chicago]
> > (CST), the windows boxes get GMT + 6 (i.e. correct time + 12 hours) -
> > Totally Bizarre!
> >
> > I have tried every combination of hwclock/system clock and zoneinfo
> > settings available and the only way I get the windows boxes to get the
> > right time is to set the hwclock to localtime (CST) and the zoneinfo to
> > [no selection]. Of course this makes xntp useless because when it tries
> > to update it sees a 21600 second difference in time and just pukes and
> > dies!
> >
> > I have read all How-Tos and Mini How-Tos, man pages, listserve archives,
> > etc and I am still at a loss. I don't understand what in the heck is
> > going on. I need help figuring out how samba figures out  what time it
> > serves to the windows boxes.
> >
> > I am out of ideas and dead in the water on this one -- alas with a
> > feeling of defeat, I now send this question to the Linux Omniscient for
> > help.
> >
> > --
> > David Rankin
> > Nacogdoches, Texas
>
> First, set your hardware clock to GMT.  Ensure that all programs
> accessing the hardware clock know this.

Andrew, I am still having problems. I have checked and rechecked everything
and here is what is happening:

[root at Nemesis /etc]# ntpdate ntp5.tamu.edu
22 Mar 23:32:29 ntpdate[15408]: adjust time server 165.91.52.110 offset
0.000278 sec

THIS SHOWS NTP SET THE CLOCK TO LOCALTIME - I DON'T GET IT?

[root at Nemesis /etc]# date
Thu Mar 22 23:32:44 CST 2001

DATE SHOWS CORRECT LOCALTIME

[root at Nemesis /etc]# hwclock
Thu Mar 22 17:32:45 2001  -0.625124 seconds

HWCLOCK SHOWS TIME SET 12 HOURS SLOW - HMMM

[root at Nemesis /etc]# zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT6CST
/usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT6CST  Thu Mar 22 23:34:22 2001 /usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT
[root at Nemesis /etc]# zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London  Fri Mar 23 05:36:02 2001 GMT

ZDUMP WORKS RIGHT FOR BOTH CST AND GMT

[root at Nemesis /etc]# date
Thu Mar 22 23:36:40 CST 2001

DATE STILL WORKING RIGHT

After a brief Win98 reboot

C:\WINDOWS>net time \\Nemesis /set /yes
Current time at \\NEMESIS is 3-23-2001 5:47A.M.
The command was completed successfully.

WINDOWS CLIENTS STILL GET GMT - ANY THOUGHTS?

Like I said, I a fresh out of ideas. I read and read and I think I have
everything ironed out and no matter what I do, windows still gets time 6 hours
ahead of what it should.
--
David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas