Drive mappings

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Sat Mar 17 22:03:01 GMT 2001

Hi Michael,

   I got to thinking a little more about what you were asking.
I have had a similar problem but had forgot that I'd
fixed it.

  Under NT4 and w2k, you have a user variable called
USERNAME.  I use it in my "net use" like you do.  But, W9x
has no such variable.

  But, Samba to the rescue, if you are using the "[homes]"
declaration with "path=/export/%U" in your smb.conf,
you can just have your win9x cleints mount "homes".
For example:

          net use U: \\mail\homes

You don't get the comment of the user name on the drive
letter (you get "homes" instead) but they still get their
individual drives mapped to their home directory.

    If you are mounting NT4 or w2k, go ahead and use:
            net use U: \\mail\%USERNAME%

  Good luck!

--Tony