character set with SMBMOUNTED dirs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Mar 8 19:28:07 GMT 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Dr. Markus Ammer wrote:

> But the other way around? Having files on a NT machine and accessing them
> with smbmount shows wrong filenames (if they have characters like öäü).

smbmount ignores these settings in smb.conf, to be consitent with some
other settings (like workgroup) it should probably take default values
from there. The names do not match the kernel nls modules so some matching
is required.

But that is not your problem, I think. You need to use a kernel that is
configured correctly. Something like:

1. Be sure to use 2.2.18 or 2.4.x
2. Configure the kernel with the local charset as CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT
       (probably iso8859-1 for german chars)
   and CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE as the remote codepage
       (probably cp850)
3. Configure the kernel with cp850 and iso8859-1 as nls modules.
4. Compile and install

If you are using 2.4.x there is a patch for smbmount that allows you to
dynamically change the local and remote nls modules to use. For most
people setting a single default when compiling is good enough.

/Urban