subnet mask, gateway problem?

Dragos Delcea dragos.delcea at farmexim.ro
Tue Mar 6 16:32:35 GMT 2001

> Hello All,
hello
> As you will inevitably discover I am new to Linux, not to mention Network
> Admin, but enjoying the ride.
>
> I've added a Redhat 6.2 server to our NT 4.0 domain.
> I've got SAMBA installed configured etc..
>
> Our block of IP addresses goes from
> x.x.x.129  to x.x.x.253
> subnet mask is 255.255.255.224
try setting netmask 255.255.255.128
	broadcast x.x.x.255 (windoze doesn't need it)
	your first IP is x.x.x.128 (pay attention, it is not usable on any host
-it's the network address), and your last x.x.x.255 (it's not usable either)
set this on every host and it should work
if you need more explanations mail me personally, your problem is not samba
related

> Our gateway is x.xx.190
>
> ***********(at one time .190 was the lowest number in our block of IP's, we
> recieved another lower block of IP's since, therefore, the gateway of .190
> iis no longer the lowest IP)
>

> There are 2 funky things happening:
>
> (a) When the Samba Server is configured to
> IP = x.x.x.152
> SM = 255.255.255.224
> gw = x.x.x.190
> then clients/workstations with only IPs lower than x.x.x.159 can see/access
> SAMBA through Network Neighborhood BUT I cannot access the internet from the
> Linux box

that's reated to the fact that you have practically two networks