Printing with samba2.0.7

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 3 11:21:40 GMT 2001

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 05:49:33PM +0100, Sim Dara wrote:
> I've just install samba2.0.7 on server Tru64.  We have one printer HP5Si and
> others HP4 on the network.

Similar settings here.

> Using Samba from our Win95 customer we can print correctly to HP4 but to our
> HP5si we have the file wanted and one blank page and one page indicated
> "@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY=" " ". So we want to suppress these pages. Is there
> anyone who can help me ?

There is nothing Samba can do for you, as this must have to do with mismatched
formats of drivers on the Windows and Unix side, and Samba only passes the
files from the Windows client to lpd. Your Windows boxes think they may use
PJL but the lpd daemon only understands PostScript.

Either change the Windows printer drivers: use the PostScript drivers and edit
the .ppd files to disallow PJL (ASCII).
Or better: use a smart input filter for your lpd, like ifhp best combined with
LPRng, and let the Windows boxes use any driver they like...
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de