smbclient and encrypted password

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 31 10:09:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Alin Osan wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2001, at 1:39, Liguo Song wrote:
>
> > I setup a SAMBA server on a Linux box. It is working fine if I mount
> > the drive from a Windows Mellenium machine. But, I can't use another
> > Linux box to access that drive through smbclient. It always failed
> > with user/password pair invalid, or something similar.
> >
> > Does smbclient work with encrpted password? If not, how am I suppose
> > to use it to access the shared drive on Windows box without disabling
> > the encrypted password?
> >
> > Thanks for any helpful insight on this matter.
> >

> > Liguo (Leo)
>
> You cannot access a Samba Server using smb layer. You need
> NFS for this.

I don't understand this answer, could you clarify what you mean?

smbclient can of course be used to access smb servers (Samba, NetApp,
winXX, ...), it is after all a smb client. It does work with servers that
use encrypted passwords.

I think the original poster has a configuration error on the 2nd linux
machine. Maybe the "workgroup" is different on the machines and need to be
given (the -W option to smbclient), maybe the usernames mismatch.

% smbclient '//curry/Public' -U username -W ntdomain
Password: ....
Domain=[NTDOMAIN] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: \>

Where curry is a win2k workstation in an NT domain. smbclient looks in
smb.conf for the workgroup parameter, if this isn't set right and not
given on the commandline it will fail.

The Samba server should write some complaints in its logfile, that might
be a good place to start.

/Urban