Samba 2.0.7 - W2K native mode

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Jan 26 14:02:32 GMT 2001

"Schretzmeier, Martin" wrote:

> Hey Samba-Group,
>
> We have samba version 2.0.7 installed on HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00.
>
> Yesterday evening we switched W2k from mixed to native
> mode. And after that Samba wasn't working correclty anymore.
> Some shares on some server worked fine - but the most
> shares didn't work. What I saw in the log-files was, that
> samba found the domain, the right domain-controllers and
> the domain-controller spoke to the samba-server. Untill
> to the user- autentification everything looked fine. But then
> I got the error "NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME". And samba
> wasn't able to autentify the user against the Domain.
>
> The original setup was like:
>
> security = domain
> password server = *
> encrypted password = yes
> workgroup  = mydomain
>
> That setup worked fine in the mixed mode - and also in
> our testlab (separeted w2k-domain in native mode).
>
> Than I changed to name the password servers - but
> that also  brought the same result. The last change was
> to switch down to security = server and name the
> domain-controller as password server. But that is
> definitly not what I excpect.
>
> What I also should mention is that I deleted and
> created new the server account in the Windows
> Server Database and also did a smbpasswd to join the
> domain, which worked.
>
> Does anyone of you has any idea what that error means
> and if there has something to be done to fix that problem.
> Every answer and idea is welcome.

Martin,

Can you reproduce this error using the latest SAMBA_2_2
cvs code?  Also could you send me (offline) a level 10
debug log surrounding the error?  Also, is the Win2k DC
running with or without SP1?

Win2k is supposed to provide full backwards compatibility
with NetBIOS and ntlmv1.  I would be very interested in
what is failing.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org