configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Super-User masweeney at novell.com
Wed Jan 24 00:35:05 GMT 2001

Hi,

First I would like to mention that my UNIX skills suck, but I have been
tasked with getting Samba installed on my Solaris 8.0 Intel platform.
I have installed all the latest patches and the gcc complier from
www.freesunware.com and setup my $PATH env. I have been successful
compling other apps such as Tomcat and Apache, but for what ever resaon
I can get the ./configure to run in order to get my make file.

below is the error I get

# ./configure
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

So it appears that it cannot find gcc or cc in the $PATH but, below is
the output from running gcc from the same location

# gcc
gcc: No input files ( So this is working fine)

Now if I run cc from the same location I  get this

# cc
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed

Any Ideas?

Thanks a bunch