supid newbie needs help

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 3 14:16:02 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Florian.Idelberger wrote:

> Does somebody have an example smb.conf file for a private network with one
> or more windows Pc's and one Linux Pc???
> Or is there somone who has experiences with this, and can give me tips????
> Because most Hopwtos's and so on describe it with a Linux server an Windows
> clients.

In a windows network all machines are servers.

If you don't want to give out any files or authenticate users, fine. You
still need to configure nmbd for others to see you, set the right
workgroup name, etc.

For smbclient most of these parameters can be set on the commandline so
almost any smb.conf should work as client-only.

> Ps: please excue me, but I didn't know that html is a no-no in this list.

It is on all important lists. :)

/Urban