Log file problems

Wachter, Richard J. RWachter at Z-TEL.com
Wed Jan 3 12:43:15 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I am having a problem with Samba version 2.0.7 running on Solaris 2.7 and
the way the log files are kept.  In my smb.conf file I have "max log size =
2000", "log level = 2" and "log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%U".  All of this
works fine and does what one would expect.

With this configuration on a busy system when the log file reaches its max
size and gets rolled over to "log.user.old" some of the "smbd" daemons are
still writing to it.  This is not a problem in its self, but the next time
that "log.user" gets rolled over and "log.user.old" gets remove and some
"smbd" daemons are still writing to "log.user.old".  I now have a file with
out a name that is being written to by a daemon that is still working.

Every one is happy for several days, then the file system the logs are on
fills up and I have no file to remove.  My only option is to kill the smbd
process that is holding the removed file open.  This drops the connections
to that smbd and causes problems to our application.

Is there any way to force the running processes ( smbd ) to switch log
files?  Is there another answer to this problem that I have not seen?  Any
help would be appreciated.

Rich Wachter
Z-Tel Communications, Inc.
Z-Line 404-946-3148
-= Windows may break but the Sun will always shine  =-