Unsolicited oplock breaks

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Feb 28 15:34:37 GMT 2001

Hi Martin,
I THINK this set of debug messages is indicating the following:

When a file is opened from a windows client, requesting an oplock, if the
server
verifies that no other process has this file open, he grants the oplock,
has to record that fact, but doesn't ACTUALLY lock the file.  NOW - if
someone else
attempts to open the file, before the server grants the open, it must BREAK
the oplock;
ie tell the owner of the oplock that it must NOW actually really lock the
file, or loose
it's lock.  In SAMBA, since there is ONE client per smbd process, what this
generates is
a bit of traffic between smbd processes.  What I think the messages are
telling you is that
the smbd that generated these messages got a REPLY from the smbd(with the
pid# noted in the
debug)responding to an oplock break request; but the smbd doesn't have an
outstanding oplock
break request to match this reply up to.
At a first guess, I might imagine that this smbd had send an oplock break
request, and it
timed out (maybe the smbd holding the oplock was too busy to respond?), so
when the response
came in, it was 'unsolicited'.
If you want to look further to see if this is related to your client
problems,
set your log file to /appropriate path.../log.%m  (so you get a log file for
each client) and
then when you see this type of message, you can use smbstatus to determine
the client name of
the pid that is referenced in the debug message, and check the
log.machinename for these two
clients around the time of the unsolicited reply to see what files were
being opened/manipulated
at the time; see if these are the directories/files your users are
complaining about.

Of course, THEN you gotta figure out WHY....  (or turn oplock support OFF in
samba; but this can
be a performance hit...)

Hope this helps,
Don