Join NT Domain : password problem, or so it seems

Damien Veillon Damien.Veillon at alcatel.fr
Tue Feb 20 16:14:19 GMT 2001

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the join NT domain procedure.
I would like to use the "security = domain" authentification mode.
Therefore, I followed the instructions found in the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt
file, by Jeremy Allison.

Here is my config :

  samba box (newly configured) :
    hostname : host201
    netbios name : host201
    OS : Solaris 7
    samba version : 2.0.7
  NT domain :
    domain name : DOM5
    PDC : PDC407
    PDC OS : NT 4 service pack 5
  WINS server : WINS406 which is also NT 4 / SP 5

Here is what I get :

step 1 : On the PDC (PDC407), adding the netbios name of the samba box
(host201) whith the "server manager for domains" tool, as a "Windows NT
workstation or server".
  => OK.

step 2 : stopping the samba daemons on the samba box (host201)
  => OK.

step 3 : joining the domain with the command :

  smbpasswd -j DOM5 -r PDC407

  => not OK ; damn !

I got the following messages :

--
host201 # smbpasswd -j DOM5 -r PDC407
cli_net_srv_pwset: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Here is an extract of my smb.conf file when in step 1 :

--
[global]
        workgroup = DOM5

2001 but found nothing regarding this problem.

I believe that the step 1 phase would create a trust account for the
samba box, with a well-known initial trust account password. This
allows smbpasswd to join the domain. Maybe there is something wrong in
that area ? Unfortunately, I don't know the NT mecanisms well enough to
figure out.

If anyone has any idea... please help !
Thanks,
Damien.