MS Word files disappearing

"Michalski, Rafał" RMichalski at eragsm.pl
Fri Feb 16 17:05:30 GMT 2001

I am so sorry that I made mistakes
in permission strings and - worse - in configuration.
This problem is of importance for us
as the first Linux inroad into company... must be a successs...
Following are detailed instructions how to reproduce
the error (?).

--------
Prologue
--------

Share configuration
[samba-test]
   comment = Samba test share
   path = /export/samba-test
   writable = yes
   valid users = @nss
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   inherit permissions = yes

Files on UNIX
bash-2.04$ cd /export/samba-test/
bash-2.04$ ls -la
total 20
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     nss          4096 Feb 16 17:17 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         4096 Feb 16 15:28 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 mcader   nss         10752 Aug  1  1997 file.doc

Step 1. Domain user mapped to rmichals:nss opens
        and modifies file file.doc
        in Word 2000 under Windows 95.

Files on UNIX
-rw-rw-r--    1 mcader   nss         10752 Aug  1  1997 file.doc
-rwxrw-r--    1 rmichals nss           162 Feb 16 17:21 ~$file.doc

Step 2. User tries to save modified file

Word displays OK-button dialog that it cannot save file
because of insufficient permissions.

Files on Unix
-rw-rw-r--    1 mcader   nss         19456 Feb 16 17:27 file.doc
-rwxrw-r--    1 rmichals nss           162 Feb 16 17:28 ~$file.doc
-rw-rw-r--    1 rmichals nss         10752 Aug  1  1997 ~WRL0812.tmp

The user clicks OK.
Word diplays Yes-No-buttons dialog asking whether
to retry the save.
The user clicks No.
The document remains open in Word.

--------------------------------------
Step 3. User closes document believing
        only last changes will be lost
--------------------------------------

The user chooses Close button of the MDI child window
containing document.
Word displays Yes-No-Cancel-buttons dialog asking whether
to save changes.
The user clicks No.
Word closes the document.

Files on UNIX
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     nss          4096 Feb 16 17:31 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         4096 Feb 16 15:28 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 rmichals nss         10752 Aug  1  1997 ~WRL0812.tmp

---------
Epilogue
---------

The original document is lost.