WinME/Samba problem?

David DeLauro daved at saintjoe.edu
Fri Feb 9 19:32:18 GMT 2001

> Leo Fox wrote:
>
>     Hello, I am having a problem with WinME and Samba, andy insight
> you can give is appreciated. Basically I have 5 computers behind a
> router, one of them is running Linux the rest have Windows ME, 98, NT,
> 2000. The Linux computer is running Samba and it works fine except for
> one problem. I can't see or connect to the Linux machine from the
> Windows ME machine, I can see all the other computers' shares fine and
> I can ping the Linux machine no probs, but I can't access the share!
> All the other windows computers(2000, NT, 98) CAN. When I try to
> connect to it directly \\Lin, it simply says "Cannot find '\\Lin',
> check spelling blah blah blah."
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> -Leo

I think I've seen what you are talking about and fixed it with the
following link.  It seems to be an issue with WinME.

Article Q272991

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/9/91.ASP

--
David DeLauro

Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance.

To many, total abstinence is easier than perfect moderation. - St.
Augustine

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a
habit." - Aristotle

Those who do not think about their own sins make up for it by thinking
incessantly about the sins of others.  - C. S. Lewis  (God in the Dock,
"Miserable Offenders," p. 124)

"I do this really moronic thing that the government doesn't want me to
do.  It is called thinking" - George Carlin

"There is no greater tyranny, than that which is perpetrated under the
shield of law and in the name of justice" - Montesquieu

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin