Users and Share Drives migration from NT to Linux

Serge Bianda serge.bianda at sercacon.com
Fri Dec 28 07:44:02 GMT 2001

Hello Everyone:
Hope you all had a nice Christmas!
I am facing a situation that I have never faced before. I have a the latest
version of Samba running on a RH Linux 6.2 and a Windows 2000 Domain
Controller that authenticates users and provide share drives for the
internal network, As the economy here in the US is downgrading, I am forced
to add more Linux server (as a replacement to Windows for all my
servers)which will be at a very low cost for us and also for the good things
Linux offers. So I need to migrate all my users (about 200 of them)and
groups to a Samba Server, including their  permissions and the share drives,
so I was wondering if any guru out there have a suggestion, or a link to a
tool utility that will perform the migration for me, without running through
the hassle of creating individual account which is a pain (only to think
about it!) on that samba server.
I have ran a test pilot for Samba as a Domain controller and it worked fine
so far with about 40 users, but as I said earlier I have never done a
migration from Windows 2000 to Linux. Way back, I have done Windows to
Novell using a Novell tool, but never from Windows to Linux.
One of my friend told me about such tool, but don't know where it is, I
tried google.com, but got no chance. That's why I'm turning to my Linux guru
from this list, may be I'm lucky with all the good answers to questions
being asked since I joined the list.

Regards,
Serge

P.S.: Remember that I want "migrate" users, groups and shares