NTLM, NTLMv2, lmcompatibilitylevel >=2 doesnt work

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Dec 24 06:28:03 GMT 2001

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Syzop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if samba supports NTLMv2, particullary NTLMv2 session security.

Nope.  Not in the 2.2.x release branch.  There is an experiemntal (but not
very tested) implementation of it in the HEAD branch.

> But I can't even get NTLM-only to work :(.
> I'm trying to increase lmcompatibilitylevel, but I can't connect to the samba server
> anymore when I set it to 2 or higher ("Send NTLM authenication only").
>
> I'm using HEAD CVS of today, and my smb.conf looks like this:

Try against 2.2.x.  Just out of curiousity.  There may be some bugs there.

> (oh and lanman auth = No didnt solve anything IIRC)

It wouldn't.  I only chnges the way we check passwords.
Nothing about protocol negotiation.

> The eventlog show something like (translated from dutch): "The
> redirector cannot initialize the properties of the securitycontext or
> querycontext."

chau, jerry