Printer Driver Managment

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Dec 14 13:36:02 GMT 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, THIBADEAU,DAN (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

> I have a few questions concerning driver managment in Samba.
>
> 	1) Can you delete a driver once added into Samba?  How?

Not the files.  Only the TDB entry (rpcclient deldriver).
Note that the driver can not be in use.

> 	2) How do you tell the difference between a Windows NT and 2000
> driver?  They all have an <arch> type of "Windows NT x86" that I can
> tell. When using "rpcclient adddriver" command how do you set it as NT
> or 2000?

You don't right now.  The cversion of '2' is hard coded at the moment.
Should be a command line argument.

> 	3) I notice that when I use "rppclient enumdrivers 3" that the
> full path for each file is given (ie:
> \\MYSERVER\print$\MS32X86\2\hpblgf0.dll). Do the files HAVE to reside
> on the local Samba server?  In other words, does "MYSERVER" have to be
> the local host?  or can you setup a single "driver server" and have
> all your Samba print servers point the clients to that server for
> driver files?

Yes.  The files must exist in \\samba\print$.  No way around this.

> 	4) Has anyone made a script/program that will query a
> Windows/Samba print server and download/install all drivers/shares on
> that server?  I'm beginning a Perl script to do it, but would rather
> not re-invent the wheel if someone has already done it.

Do you mean a queue migration tool?

> 	5) More of a comment:  I noticed that "enumdrivers 3" works fine
> on a Windows print server, but on a Samba server returns the error:
>
> 	rpc_api_pipe: cmd 26 on pipe 701e failed to return data.
> 	result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Our client code doesn't handle fragmented PDU's at the moment.
Known bug that has been on the backburner.

> 	6) What is "Defaultdatatype"?  When I look at a Windows print
> server, some return "NULL" some return "RAW".  How do I know what to
> set it at without looking how a Windows server installed the driver?

RAW means that the client does the rendering.  All Samba printers
have "RAW" hard coded.  It's the only type we can support.

chau, jerry