Using MSDFS

marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Fri Dec 14 12:46:07 GMT 2001

Never mind the original message, same subject (shown below).  Finally figured it out.  Duhhh!

More info:  I'm using RH 7.1, Samba 2.2.1a (RPM downloaded from Samba-L).

Unfortunately, when I make the symbolic link, it flashes with a red-background at the console

Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
   # from MDHaines (205.153.146.222)
   # Date: 2001/12/14 15:29:52

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = STGROUP
           netbios name = SMB1
           server string = Server Samba1, Version %v
           interfaces = 192.168.204.40/255.255.255.0
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
           passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
           passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
           unix password sync = Yes
           log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
           max log size = 0
           name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
           time server = Yes
           deadtime = 15
           domain admin group = root @sadmin
           logon script = scripts\sstartup.bat
           logon path =
           logon home =
           domain logons = Yes
           os level = 64
           preferred master = True
           domain master = True
           dns proxy = No
           wins support = Yes
           host msdfs = Yes
           write list = @sadmin
           printer admin = @sadmin
           create mask = 0755
           printing = lprng
           dos filetimes = Yes

   [UDrive]
           comment = SAMBA folder for user data storage.
           path = /usr/local/UDrive
           read only = No
           create mask = 0766

   [Public]
           comment = For file transfer between offices using MSDFS.
           path = /usr/local/UDrive/Public
           admin users = @sadmin
           read only = No
           create mask = 0777
           guest ok = Yes
           dos filemode = Yes
           msdfs root = Yes

In /usr/local/UDrive/Public, I issue the command:

ln -s msdfs:smb2\\public others

When I "ls -l" the Public directory, the "others" directory is flashing red.

I assume that msdfs is available in the RPM as the "host msdfs" parameter shows in the Global section and the "msdfs root" parameter shows in the Share ... or am I wrong about that?

Thanks for any help,
Marion D. Haines
Network Administrator
Board of County Commissioners