win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems.

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 04:15:02 GMT 2001

> Following the advice given on this list, I used root when joining a w2k client into
> my SAMBA PDC.  That seemed to work and I got the "Welcome to the xxx domain" pop-up
> window (it took 50 seconds to join!).  I then got the message saying Windows needed
> to be rebooted, so I rebooted.  I selected the domain and gave a valid username and
> password for the domain and got:
>
> The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems's computer account in
> its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect.
>
> I interpret this as saying that there is a problem with the account for the w2k
> client rather than the username.
>
> I have the log output for SAMBA running at debug level 10 for this activity and have
> been right through it (2266 lines of it) and can see no sign of any failure being
> reported.  I can see where SAMBA finds the client in smbpasswd, but there is no
> error message in that area (or anywhere else). The username which I used for the
> login does not appear in the log, so it seems to confirm that it did not get as far
> as checking that.
>
> Given that I do not know the SMB protocol I cannot tell at what point SAMBA is
> returning an error to the client.  Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for
> in the log, or is anyone willing to look at the log for me?

Thanks to those who responded, but I'm afraid they all addressed the same issue -
setting up the computer account on the PDC.  Although the failure message makes it
look as if that is the problem, I had succeeded in joining the domain.  I had
already set up the computer account and W2k had used it to join the domain.  If I
login to Windows I am then able to map a network drive to a share on the PDC using
my username and password.  So, I have both a computer accound and a user account
registered in smbpasswd and have joined the domain.  The problem occurs when I try
to login to the domain using that username and password.

The log shows the protocol exchange which has taken place between the client and
SAMBA, but I don't know the SMB protocol, so can't tell where it has gone wrong and
I can see no failure or error messages either.

Phil.