win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems.

Steve Kennedy steve at gbnet.org
Tue Dec 11 11:09:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:08:13PM +0000, Phil Chambers wrote:

> Following the advice given on this list, I used root when joining a w2k client into
> my SAMBA PDC.  That seemed to work and I got the "Welcome to the xxx domain" pop-up
> window (it took 50 seconds to join!).  I then got the message saying Windows needed
> to be rebooted, so I rebooted.  I selected the domain and gave a valid username and
> password for the domain and got:
> The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems's computer account in
> its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect.
> I interpret this as saying that there is a problem with the account for the w2k
> client rather than the username.

I have exactly the same problem but using WindowsXP.

I reset the machine to not be a member of a domain, then rebooted, and
stopped Samba etc and erased everything apart from smbpasswd.

I then went into Network ID (from System) and joined the domain.
Everything went fine and said I had joined, then asked me to reboot.

When I rebooted XP, it now lists the domain or the local machine to
log-into. If I try a domain log-in, it fails, saying there is no PDC
or similar (or the trust relationship is invalid).

If I log in locally, then go into Control Panel and User Manager,
I then ask to add users, it lists the domain, and after asking for
a valid user/pass (I use root), it lists the available users on the
samba server to add. I click on one to add it, and when I do "next"
it fails with "trust relationship is invalid".

I've gone through every permutation of this and have never
succeeded.

The only error in the log file for the XP machine (i.e. machine.log)
is

[2001/12/10 22:01:18, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr.c:(670)
  api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.

Steve

--
home steve at gbnet.org       * Flat 2, 43 Howitt Road, Belsize Pk, London NW3 4LU
work steve at thus.net        * tel +44-(0)207 483 1169    FAX +44-(0)207 483 2455