win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems.

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 10:10:27 GMT 2001

Following the advice given on this list, I used root when joining a w2k client into
my SAMBA PDC.  That seemed to work and I got the "Welcome to the xxx domain" pop-up
window (it took 50 seconds to join!).  I then got the message saying Windows needed
to be rebooted, so I rebooted.  I selected the domain and gave a valid username and
password for the domain and got:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems's computer account in
its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect.

I interpret this as saying that there is a problem with the account for the w2k
client rather than the username.

I have the log output for SAMBA running at debug level 10 for this activity and have
been right through it (2266 lines of it) and can see no sign of any failure being
reported.  I can see where SAMBA finds the client in smbpasswd, but there is no
error message in that area (or anywhere else). The username which I used for the
login does not appear in the log, so it seems to confirm that it did not get as far
as checking that.

Given that I do not know the SMB protocol I cannot tell at what point SAMBA is
returning an error to the client.  Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for
in the log, or is anyone willing to look at the log for me?

Phil.