Newbie: Error = Connection reset by peer

David Andrews dandrews at mpiua.com
Tue Dec 11 08:20:11 GMT 2001

Hey y'all:

I am setting up Samba for the first time, the version that came standard
with my RedHat 7.  I first manually configured config file and I was
able to access my share from a windows 2000 machine.  Next I installed
Swat to configure using the web interface.  After using the interface my
2000 machines can no longer access and I'm not sure why.  The server
shows up in my browser on 2000 but when I click I get (\\server is not
accessible.  The network path was not found).  Pining the server from my
2000 returns the correct IP address.   My /var/log file shows the
following lines:

lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data (545)
Write_socket_data: write failure.  Error = Connection reset by peer
lib/util_sock.c:write_socket (570)
Write_socket:  Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Connection
reset by peer
lib/util_sock.c:send_smb (759)
Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting

I've been trying to fix this for about a week, and would be grateful for
an suggestions.  Oh, one other thing, the share works fine on my NT
machines...

Thanks!
~David
dandrews at mpiua.com