Sharing a windows printer problem

Dominic Y. Deferia ddeferia at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 15:40:02 GMT 2001

Hello. I have been trying to print to a windows printer share with no success.

So far I have found out that the smbprint does not execute. I verified this by looking at the
logfile=/tmp/smb-print.log (from smbprint script) after printing from windows - this logfile
was  not created. Also, i verified the path of smbclient and it points to the proper directory.
I am using Debian , and samba 2.0.7.

my printcap entries are :

winprt:\
    :sd=/var/spool/winspl:\            ; this exists, chmod 1777 ....winspl
    :af=/var/spool/winspl/acct:\      ; this exists, chmod 1777 ....acct
    :if=/usr/sbin/smbprint:\            ;this seems not to execute, verifed the logfile from smbprint
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

my smb.conf

[global]

    load printers = yes
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    printing = bsd

[printers]

    print ok = yes
    printable = yes
    path = /tmp/samba/spool       ;chmod 777 for spool directory
    gues ok = yes
    browseable = no

Under /var/spool/winspl directory, I have .config as

server=PAPA   ; windows machine
service=HP      ; printshare name
password=""

Everytime I print, i can see files  dumped into the  /var/spool/winspl directory. I see status file which states
"winprt is ready and printing", and sometimes lock file where it has numbers in it. The problem i guess is the
smbprint itself b/c i do not see the log file created everytime i print. I also tried to print manually using the smbclient program by
connecting to the printer and putting in a file and it prints fine. I also did testparm and no errors there. Also I did
testprns printername and the printer name is found.  Any ideas on this problem is highly appreciated.