windows desktop redirection -> samba has problems

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:11:17 GMT 2001

here's our setup:

1) Windows NT4.0 server/PDC
2) Multiple Windows NT4.0 (SP 6) and Windows 2000 (SP 2)
3) AIX 4.3 file server running samba (1.9)

currently we are trying to make a change in all users windows profiles. we
are trying to switch from roaming to local. thats easy engouh, but we also
want to redirect the windows desktop and my docs folder to our network
file server (samba) so that the desktop and my documents will, in effect,
roam to other comuters.

heres our problem:

a user, on a windows platform, creates a document in word, or any other
windows app, and saves it to the desktop (i.e., the redirected desktop,
which is actually the home directory of that user on the network filesever
running samba). the file is saved and you can see it on the unix side, but
the new file will not show up on the actual windows desktop unless the
user logs-out/logs-in, or the user craetes another file, and then removes
it. a right-click/refresh of the desktop does not work.

this is not good, because we cant tell users they need to logout/login
just to see things on there desktop.

i think the problem is in samba. because if i redirect the desktop to a
share on the windows server, the updates work just fine. has anyone else
delt with this problem before? anyone got any ideas? i hesitate to upgrade
samba because we tried that before and it didnt work, and im not sure its
gonna fix the current problem.

thanks in advance,

alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu