Question

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Dec 6 09:59:39 GMT 2001

These questions would be better asked on the samba mailing list.
My guess (not having enough info in what you sent) is a name
resolution issue. Are your machines on the same subnet? Try
the tests in DIAGNOSIS.txt in the samba docs directory.

With the Win95 client if it is OSR2 you will need a registry
fix for plaintext passwords applied there as well.

> Marco Antonio Rojano Gonzalez wrote:
>
> Mr. Lewis
>
> Excuse me, I write from Mexico I  have a question and could yoy help
> me, please??:
>

> I have a samba  (v .2.2.0)  installed on sun unix server with solaris
> 7 called dico_samba (IP address 200.20.301.20; for example). And other
> server with Samba (v. 1.9.17p3).  My clients are: computers with Win95
> and Win2000. The problems are:
>

> 1) With Samba v. 1.9.17p3 and  Win2000 client , ran your tip in the
> register:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters]
> "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001
>

> This tip works, I can connect my Win200 clients with Server IP
> adress , but I don´t with Server Name, I checked my dns and other name
> configuration of my Win200 client and works with other applications
> very well, the problem is Samba because I only can connect thought the
> IP addrees. What´s the conflict???
>

> 2)  With Samba 2.2.0
>
> Win2000 Client: The same case of point 1, I can connect throught IP
> address of Server, but don´t with Server Name
>

> Win95 client: when I try to connect with Server , Windows displays the
> error: "The password is incorrect, try again", and it doesn´t permit
> me to access the share resource in Server. However in Unix , I try to
> connect with smbclient command to share resource and it´s succesfully,
> inclusively from others Unix Servers.
>
> What's the problem?? why Unix yes and Windows No
>

> Excuse for my questions and I hope that you can give some ideas about
> this
>

> Thanks a lot
>
> Marco

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177