Authentication Problem

PEARCE,ANDREW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex1) andrew_pearce at hp.com
Wed Dec 5 04:04:13 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have a unix server which I have access to, and would like to create a
share that is accessible from win9x, NT, and windows 2000.
I am running samba version 2.0.6 which is the version you get with HP-UX
11.i

I don't work for my companies IT department, so I do not have access to the
DC or BDC.
However, DNS and WINS work fines and resolves the hostname that I am using.
I have created a share and I can view the share from my PC, but when I try
and connect to the share, I am unable to gain access to the share.

I am not too interested in security, so I started off at security level
share, but I have also tried security level user.

Below is the some info that might assist

#smbclient //hostname/users -U andrew%andrew
added interface ip=a.b.c.d bcast=a.b.c.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I have vi'd the file "/var/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd" and there are
entries in that file for a user name andrew.

Just to make sure the entry is valid I used this command to re-enter the
password

# /opt/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a andrew andrew

But I did get the following errors
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (passwd too short)
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (passwd too short)
Added user andrew.
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (passwd too short)
Password changed for user andrew.

However, when I do it for a second time it works fine.

I have a "gut feeling" that I have not created the users correctly.

Thanks in advance
Andrew