2.2.0 bug? "unable to open smb password database" with security=domain

Bas list at showme.wox.org
Mon Apr 30 08:12:06 GMT 2001

Hi Bob,

Just a few lines coming from man smb.conf
SECURITY = DOMAIN

       This mode will only work correctly if smbpasswd(8)has been
       used  to  add  this  machine  into a Windows NT Domain. It
       expects the encrypted passwords parameter  to  be  set  to
       true.  In  this  mode Samba will try to validate the user­
       name/password by passing it to a  Windows  NT  Primary  or
       Backup  Domain  Controller, in exactly the same way that a
       Windows NT Server would do.

       Note that a valid UNIX user must still exist  as  well  as
       the  account  on  the  Domain Controller to allow Samba to
       have a valid UNIX account to map file access to.

       Note that from the clients point of view security = domain
       is  the  same as security = user . It only affects how the
       server deals with the authentication, it does not  in  any
       way affect what the client sees.

       Note  that the name of the resource being requested is not
       sent to the server until after the server has successfully
       authenticated  the  client. This is why guest shares don't

The rest is of this man page is installed on your system.

Good Luck,
Bas.