Quick general question

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Sat Apr 28 15:09:06 GMT 2001

Don't. Connecting to an e-commerce site via SMB (the windows network
filesharing language) is inherently insecure and dangerous. The files
you modify will be sent across the Internet in a manner that anyone can
intercept them and use them. If these files have confidential
information in them (such as passwords, etc) you'll be compromising the
security of the web site.
Ask the administrator of the Solaris box to install ssh and set you up
with an account, then download the putty suite
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) and use that to
connect.
If you insist on using SMB communications, look into setting up a
secure, encrypted VPN (Virtual Private Network) - it will allow you to
use Samba through an encrypted connection, thus ensuring security.
Otherwise, there's really nothing you need to do. The manager of the
Solaris box needs to set up Samba on his computer and your NT5 box will
be able to connect.

-Bill