TCP/IP packets not recognised

peter peterth at gmx.net
Sat Apr 28 11:21:28 GMT 2001

Hallo all,

my box , Samba 2.0.7, Suse 7.0, IP4, has problems to recognize packets it
gets from the only Mac (PB G3 - OS 9.1) in the network.
Always when sending data to the server the error is "NBT Unknown Packet
Type" and this goes on endless.
Now I did solve this using netatalk and macip (no subnetting) but it still
does not work over tcpip. Neither of the two protocols work correctly over
tcpip. Funny thing ;-)
Is there something I should be aware of when using a Mac?
Time ago I was reading something about differences in the way the tcpip
stack handels data frames from win and mac because it works fine when
connecting to windows boxes, they understand the little and bigger ones
(packets) but for linux there is something to be done for this to work.
Maybe some option to activate in the kernel?
DD, or like?

Have a nice day,

Peter Thalmann