lock problem with 2.2.0

Pavlos Parissis p_pavlos at otenet.gr
Fri Apr 27 17:25:57 GMT 2001

Hell all,

I'm using a linuxbox running samba on our local network
Everything worked fine and some days before I upgraded to v2.2
Today I've installed a windows application based in Access

The data that this app uses reside in one file named low.mdb that is stored centraly in the linux
box and all users have access to it through samba. When more than one users started working a lot
of problems came up. Every now and then Access either complained about low.mdb been locked for
exclussive usage by another user or it opened the data but in read only mode.

When the same low.mdb was moved to a PC running win98 everything worked normal.

This is the first time that I use samba to share a file that is opened in read - write mode from a
lot of users simultaneously and I assume it has something to do with locking so I searched the
samba documentation for this word and came up with a couple of relative options. These seem to be
OK when left in their default setting and that's exactly the case with my smbconf which is
extremely light (as few options as can be I hope).

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

System Info:
RedHat 7.0
kernel 2.2.19
samba 2.2.0
windows 98SE Clients
Access 97
and the samba conf:

	workgroup = LOCALENLOGIC
        server string = Samba %v Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max disk size = 3000000000
        max log size = 1000
        name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast wins
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY  SO_SNDBUF=1024 SO_RCVBUF=4096
        load printers = No
        #for greek support
        character set = ISO8859-7
        client code page = 737
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        remote announce = 192.168.0.255
        guest account = pavlos
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[company]
        path = /home/share
        browseable = Yes
        writeable = Yes
        force group          = enlogic
    	create mask          = 0770
        force create mode    = 0770
        directory mask       = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770

I love having the feeling of being in control
while i have the sensation of speed

The surfer of life