file name changed from uppercase to lowercase

git at bmts.com git at bmts.com
Fri Apr 27 12:35:52 GMT 2001

You can make a share case sensitive, but this is
not recommended. (by default, Samba is Case
preserving, hence if you name Giggle first it's
ok, but not case sensitive)

There was a document mailed to the list about a
month ago that explained all the weird and wanky
ways Windows NT mangles Case, and the pitfalls you
can run into if you make Samba case sensitive. It
should still be in the archives.

> I am running HP-UX 11.00.  I have created shares
for NT.  I am having a
> problem with file names that are previously
entered as lowercase will
> not allow us to change the name to capital.
> For example:
> If I add a file to my share \\blue\smith called
"giggle" then decide
> later to change it to "GiggLe"  the file will
automatically be renamed
> to "giggle" instead. Now any one that tries to
name thier file with
> capital letter will not be able to do so. The
will have to manually go
> into the unix server and change the name.
>
> Is there some type of cache that is causing
names to be changed.  This
> does not happen if I name the file "Giggle" from
the beginning.

> We have a lot of users that use the same file
names, and once one person
> makes a mistake on thier share, no else can
change the file name.

> Please be aware that, notwithstanding the fact
that the person sending
> this communication has an address in Bear
Stearns' e-mail system, this
> person is not an employee, agent or
representative of Bear Stearns.
> Accordingly, this person has no power or
authority to represent, make
> any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
statements or disclose
> information on behalf of or in any way bind Bear
Stearns or any of its