smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Apr 27 08:28:41 GMT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, David W.Chapman Jr. wrote:

> Here is my scenario, I'm trying to mess with pam_smb and smbfs to connect to
> a windows nt server and mount shares off of it, is it possible to have smbfs
> use the currently logged in username and password to mount the shares?

If you have messed with pam_smb then you are more of an expert than me on
this, but here goes something anyway:

smbfs doesn't care.

smbmount needs a username and password (+ other options) when run. It can
get that from an environment variable, from a file or as an option.

Who runs smbmount, the pam module (yes, the module-module :) or a user?

I believe it is possible to have things mounted when you log in using the
pam_mount module, but perhaps that is not what you are asking about.

If a user runs it how can the pam module provide the correct username? Is
there something in the pam interface that remembers who you are (you
logged on as so-and-so, then it can look up the password and return it).

A quick look at the pam application developers guide suggests that it may
be possible to connect this. However, right now smbmount doesn't know
anything about pam.

And isn't pam_smb about authenticating vs a NT domain? Then don't you need
a different module to remember passwords?

Btw, a better subject might be "smbmount and pam". There is at least one
person on this list that have actually done something with pam ... he
may be (somewhat) interested in pam, but I doubt he cares about smbfs :)

/Urban