handling huge files

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Apr 27 07:26:28 GMT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Veghelyi Attila wrote:

> What did I configure wrong? The system was: RedHat7.1 ( 2.4.2 kernel ), ext2
> and reiser filesystem, samba 2.0.7, NT workstations.

It's a problem with configure, it doesn't detect that you have a system
that supports large files (It is usually called Large File Support, the
next step may very well be Huge File Support ... 128 bit filesizes? :)

Upgrade to samba 2.2.0, or if you must run 2.0.7 try applying this patch:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/samba-2.0.7-lfs-configtest.patch

Something like this:
	cd samba-2.0.7/source
	patch -p2 < ../../samba-2.0.7-lfs-configtest.patch
	autoconf
	rm config.cache
	./configure (whatever options you normally use)

Not that if you use smbfs it does not support LFS (yet, experimental &
dangerous patches exist), but smbclient does.

/Urban