2.2.0 printing

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Apr 25 14:59:58 GMT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:44:10 jreijling at corp.nl.home.com wrote:

> After installing 2.2.0 I've discovered clients other than
> WinNT or Win2K can't print; their jobs go to the spool area
> I've defined but never get printed. In an attempt to fix
> this I discovered my Win2K client couldn't run the add
> printer wizard, which led me to a readme that told me to
> add a printers directory and a print$ share to smb.conf.
> This led to adding two entries to my smb.conf, "admin users"
> and "printer admin".

There was a key piece of information left out of the printing
chapter (Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf) in the 2.2.0 release.
To use the APW to actually add new printers, you must
define an "add printer command" in smb.conf.  Other wise,
you will only be able to set drivers for printers already
existing in smb.conf.  See the smb.conf man page for
details..

Note that the HOWTO-Collection has been updated
and the latest version is available on the "Documentation"
page of http://samba.org/ (and mirrors).

> my Windows 9x users not only can't print, but they
> don't get to download files from the samba server.  Me and
> my users just want to print like we did with 2.0.7. I don't
> want to have to do any gpg this or that(Imprints), I don't
> care about my users downloading printer drivers
> from a samba share or any of the seemingly "new"
> features of printing in 2.2.0.

Something else is wrong that has nothing to do with
the new functionality.  Windows 9x client will continue
to use the LanMan style printing as they did under 2.0.
What do the smbd logs say?  Feel fgree to send a level 10
debug log (log file = /var/log/log/%m) of the failed print.

> I hate to sound like this, but what in the world is the
> thinking here by the samba team?

The thinking is that Samba could not really replace
a Windows NT print server due to lack of certain key
features (support for MSRPC spoolss calls).  Now we can.

> Have several key members gone off on their own and
> decided to torpedo this aspect of what used to be
> the best of the best?

Nope.  We all worked together on this one and has been
discussed openly on development lists. :-)

> Or have I simply read one too many of the published
> readme's that's out-of-date, that directs me to do something
> that can't be done in whole, only part?

Probably the docs have you confused.  The printing semantics
have changed dramatically.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org