NT drive mounts - keep getting IO Errors

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Apr 23 22:24:58 GMT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Greg Casbolt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Suse Linux 7.0 on an intel PII box. I've used Samba to mount
> a couple of drives on my NT machine but sometimes when I go to use the
> mounts (e.g. save a file from my linux box on to my NT box) I get an IO
> Error. The problem is temporarily fixed by doing a 'umount' and then
> 'mount' however, I'm finding this a bit tedious!

Which kernel version do you use? (uname -r)
Do you get any kernel messages when it stops working? (dmesg)
Which samba version?

You should run kernel 2.2.18/19 (or 2.4), and smbmount from samba 2.2.0 is
a little bit better than 2.0.7 at not doing this. But it is a known
problem (series of problems).

Running a script like this in the background on the smbfs mount may help
with the problem that remain in 2.2.18:

#!/bin/sh

while [ 1 ]; do
	date > date.txt
	sleep 120
done

> I've looked at the Samba log file /var/log/log.smb and its full of
> entries like:
>
> [2001/04/23 13:07:43, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:map_share_mode(443)
>   map_share_mode: Incorrect value 0 for desired_access to file \

Completely unrelated. They come from smbd which is the "main" samba
server, smbmount/smbfs is a client.

/Urban