browse list, different subnets, vpn, and dynamic IPs

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:51:22 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am setting up a VPN, and have it working, and now I need to be able to see
a browse list like when I am on the same subnet as the rest of the network.

Here's how I have my network setup currently:

10.0.0.0/24:
    mmp_NT 10.0.0.5:
        NTDC
	nt4 sp6a

    mmp-linux 10.0.0.4:
        File server
	Wins

192.168.1.0/24:
    mike 192.168.1.20:
        My Home win98

I've read about telling samba to broadcast to other subnets, and I haven't
tried it yet... If mmp-linux isn't the NTDC will it still broadcast to other
subnets with its wins list?

What about people with dynamic addresses?  How do I get them to see the
browse list?

I have setup my Win98 to use the wins server, but I need to know the name of
each computer either "find" it, or type \\computer in "run".  Others won't
like this...

Maybe I need to change my netbios node type so it will only use wins?
How do I change that without dhcp? Where's the registry key?

Mike