it seems like a bug or not

Tony Nugent tony at growzone.com.au
Fri Apr 20 07:30:18 GMT 2001

On Fri Apr 20 2001 at 14:43, root wrote:

   You VerySillyPerson!  Never ever send email as root!  (err, if
   that is what you are doing).     :)

>  my respected samba team members:
>     I'am one of your truth samba user,using samba (RedHat7.0's
> samba 2.0.7  and RedHat6.0's samba 2.0.5a)  to connect to win98se,

Should work just fine, out of the box.  Works for me (say that 40
times over :-)

   But go get the samba update rpms for redhat 6.x - that will bring
   them all up to 2.0.7.

   But wait... there's been a security problem just discovered in
   2.0.7, so I assume that yet another update is about to arrive.

> i found it a problem,i can connect win98se mount share resource to
> linux' host,browser the share resource read/write it's files,but
> the window98 can hardly(very very a few times can)browse linux's
> host,even saw the it's ircon in  windows98's net neihbour it can
> not login(displaied data erro),I was modified smb.conf severiar
> times(again and again,nearly mad)but it  desn't work,so i guess

  First, if it otherwise works to see a share (this isn't clear),
  then you may not have usernames and file ownerships/permissions
  correctly set up.

You have some big configuration problems.  Below here you have
configured samba as a domain master, but haven't enabled any of its
services... wins, logons and so on.

Read the documentation.  There are services that are required to be
running in a windows netbios network before anything meaningful
happens.

You can't have two local masters on a network - if another box is
doing that (eg, NT), then samba and that box will fight for it.  Or
not cooperate at all.

There is a massive big difference between configuring samba as an
ordinary client in a netbios network, and using it as a local domain
master (server).  It must be one or the other.

In your case I assume you want it to act as a netbios server.

>          By the way the the two hosts with windows98se can connetc
> to each other freely,use two Rel8139 net cards,(there may no hard
> ware with problem in this connection,does it right?)

If ping works, then you should able to talk via netbios.

> My smb.conf:

(Hint: use swat to configure your samba server).

Cut this down a bit - if you throw away the comment junk, this is
what you get -- nice and clean...

> [global]
> netbios name=son
>    workgroup =linux

Is this the same workgroup name as the windows boxes are using?

They MUST be the same!  MUST!

>    server string = Samba Server
> hosts allow=169.254.254.14. 169.254.156.78
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>
> guest account=mm
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
>    max log size = 50
>
>    security = share

share?  No.  Enable logon services and try security = user

  But only do that if there is no other windows logon server on the
  network.  Otherwise use security = domain (or server)

>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>
> interfaces=169.254.254.14/16 169.254.156.78/16
> ;   local master = no

no?  But you nave enabled it below here...

> ;   os level = 33
> domain master = yes
> ;   preferred master = yes
> ;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
> ;   domain logons = yes
>    dns proxy = no

Please make sure you understand what those options actually do.
Samba is a network client or a network server, depending on those
settings.

> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    writable = yes
>
> ; [netlogon]
> ;   comment = Network Logon Service
> ;   path = /home/netlogon
> ;   guest ok = yes
> ;   writable = no
> ;   share modes = no

Enable netlogon if you are using samba as the logon server.

> ;[Profiles]
> ;    path = /home/profiles
> ;    browseable = no
> ;    guest ok = yes