2.2, woddidido?

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Wed Apr 18 20:36:54 GMT 2001

(This got sent to the wrong address initially; apologies to anyone who
ends up with two copies!)

The hornbill book and the docs have been perused (for hours) and I'm
stumped.  I've upgraded two 2.0.7 installations to 2.2.0 today; the
first one came up sweetly with everything working fine, but the second,
though mostly ok, has a problem somewhere.  On that machine, if I do
smbclient -L localhost -U% it replies:

  tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid
  share name)

If I do smbclient -L localhost -U root I get a full share list.  If I
use the ID of a valid user (who can connect to his home share and to
all the other shares to which he's entitled, using smbclient
\\\\localhost\\sharename), and I do smbclient -L localhost -U thatuser, I
get the error message (so it's not just to do with the guest account).

The whole /usr/local/samba tree is owned by root with group root and
permissions 755.  The partition /srv where the shares other than homes
live has the same ownership and permissions.  The only other shares are
five autoloaded printers from /etc/printcap, and if I remove the
[printers] stanza completely from smb.conf, it makes no difference.

The installation was from source with --enable-syslog as the only
option given to the configure script.  Compilation and installation
seemed trouble-free.

Please, has anybody an idea where I should be looking, and for what?

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |