Samba 2.20 vs 2.07 Question:

Mitch Bruntel mbruntel at home.com
Wed Apr 18 15:20:47 GMT 2001

OK. Having read the press release on 2.20 sounds great. BUT my questions are
as follows:

1) I have 2.07 installed, and it is NOT completely shaken out.
(remaining problems are:  can't reliably log in and get read/write access
unless user is on  admin users =  line in smb.conf) and printers aren't done
(but not a high priority right now.)

2) I still have a 2.2 based kernel (mandrake) and WONT upgrade it until
samba is STABLE... (doesn;t that sound like a good plan ?(;--> )

Therefore, can someone assist me in figuring out a) if
I will gain anything right now by upgrading to 2.20
and trying to get that pain in the 2.2 kernel?

Or is just trying to shake out my bugs in 2.07 more realistic?

b) Next:  below I will include my smb.conf file, and explain my problem in
detail (again...)
Please make sure to also address a copy of any replies to me, so I can
ABSOLUTELY make sure I read it CAREFULLY!

---------my smb file follows:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.10.184 (192.168.10.184)
# Date: 2001/04/08 15:29:41

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = @HOME
	server string = It's time to SAMBA dih dah dah dah!
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	update encrypted = Yes
	map to guest = Bad Password
	smb passwd file = /home/smbscripts/private/smbpasswd
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 3
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	debug pid = Yes
	debug uid = Yes
	nt smb support = No
	nt pipe support = No
	nt acl support = No
	name resolve order = lmhost, host, wins, bcast
	time server = Yes
	logon script = samba.bat
	logon path = /home/smbscripts/netlogon/scripts
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 0
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	guest account = guest
	valid users = +family
	admin users = mlb, clb, moo
	hosts allow = 192.168.10.0
	hosts deny = 24.0.0.0

[homes]
	comment = Choose YOUR directory
	path = /home
	guest account = nobody
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	comment = Home Login Directory
	path = /home/smbscripts/netlogon/scripts
	admin users = mlb, clb, moo, zeb
	write list = mlb
	guest ok = Yes
	max connections = 6
	mangled names = No

[moo]
	comment = Jess home directory
	path = /home/moo/dosroot
	invalid users = family
	valid users = moo
	admin users = moo
	write list = moo
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 3

[mlb]
	comment = Mitch's home directory
	path = /home/mlb/dosroot
	invalid users = family
	valid users = mlb
	write list = mlb
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 3

[tmp]
	path = /tmp

[clb]
	comment = Cheryl's Space
	path = /home/clb/dosroot
	valid users = clb
	admin users = clb
	write list = clb
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 3

[zeb]
	comment = Zack's directory
	path = /home/zeb/dosroot
	valid users = zeb
	admin users = zeb
	write list = zeb
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 2

[mbsw]
	comment = MB SW for CDROM
	path = /var/sw
	username = mlb
	valid users = mlb
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 2

[mail]
	comment = MB/CB Mail files
	path = /var/mail
	invalid users = zeb
	valid users = mlb, clb, moo
	write list = mlb, clb, moo
	read only = No
	max connections = 3

[newtest]
	comment = test
	path = /home/mlb/dosroot
	invalid users = family
	valid users = @family
	write list = mlb
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	max connections = 3
	copy = mlb

[software]
	comment = BigFileSystem-/SW
	path = /software/dosroot
	admin users = mlb, zeb, moo, clb, @family
	write list = family
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[testshare]
	comment = test sw dir share
	path = /software/testshare
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	max connections = 5

** if you're still reading this I have an interesting comment.
My son (zeb) doesn't use his share for anything except games, and apparently
WILL work without being an administrator.
Writing seems to be the problem.