Having problems with files that have the ':' character

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Mon Apr 16 16:54:10 GMT 2001

> Some of the files on my linux box have the character ':' in their name.
Viewing them over the network via smb, samba seems to replace the ':' with a
'~'.

> The real problem is that these files cannot be copied/moved at all (error
messages appear).

> Has anyone else encountered this issue? And is there a fix or workaround?
(please don't tell me I need to rename all my files ;)  ).
I'm not going to tell you you have to rename your files, but I am going to
let you know that the ':' character is not a valid windows filename
character, so I think you can deduce what you need from that, unless there
is a workaround in samba for this.