Samba config file reload

Adrian Kuepker akuepker at desc.org
Mon Apr 9 18:43:18 GMT 2001

I've been perusing the documentation and books we've urchased regarding
Samba and cannot find the particular feature we need.

Our organization has roughly 75 users using our Samba file server at any
given time. Samba has worked very well for the users, however, for our
IT department's sanity, we need one ability.  Namely, the ability to
have Samba immediately reload and employ the smb.conf configuration
files. Is there any particular switch, other than 'smbd restart' that
will fulfill this need?

Waiting 5 minutes for Samba to reload the smb.conf files for a minor
change is becoming increasingly frustrating as we have found that 'smb
restart' tends to break the User's file connections. While this may not
seem to be important, it is causing strange problems with the file
integrity in the accounting package software. This is not a problem with
the way Samba normally operates, but only occurs when we've manually
restarted Samba.

Greatly apprec'd

--Adrian