Mac OS X + Samba + NT = Snag

Kyle McKay kylem at qualcomm.com
Thu Apr 5 23:37:12 GMT 2001

After much nashing of teeth, I have compiled and installed Samba on Mac OS
X!  The following lines (or something like them) should probably be added
to the config.guess file in the samba/source directory:

	Power*:Darwin:*:*)
		echo powerpc-apple-darwin${UNAME_RELEASE}
		exit 0 ;;

I added them right after the "mac68k:OpenBSD:*:*)" section.

I was not able to get the inetd installation working -- although Mac OS X
does have an inetd, it doesn't seem to be using /etc/inetd.conf.  Anyway,
in any case, I was able to configure Mac OS X to start both smbd and nmbd
during the boot process and that's working fine -- I would be happy to
provide that info if the other problem I'm having can be identified and
eliminated.

I was originally using the HEAD revisions of the source files, but since
switched to the release-2-0-7 label hoping that the problem I was seeing
was a new bug, but alas it's present in the 2.0.7 version as well.

PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED:  Large writes to a share mounted on the NT 2000 PC are
not working correctly.

dragging it over.  Specifically the file I'm copying is 1546752 bytes in
size.  The file begins to copy (small files are copied successfully), but
eventually (1-3 minutes) an error is displayed indicating "The path is too
deep".

Please note that large files can be copied off the share to the PC quickly
and without error.

Any pointers on what to look for or where to start debugging would be
appreciated.

Following the DIAGNOSIS.txt file, here's the output with Samba 2.0.7
installed on the Mac OS X machine:

TEST 1: PASS
testparm /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Reports 5 NOTES that 5 of the services are unavailable (as desired).  No
warnings, no errors.

TEST 2: PASS
ping server from client -- works fine, but server doesn't currently have a
DNS name, so I had to use the IP address.
ping client from server -- works fine (client has a DNS name).

TEST 3: PASS
ran smbclient -L server -- asked for password (security=server), after
supplying a valid password, the complete list of shares was displayed.

TEST 4: PASS
ran nmbclient -B server __SAMBA__ and it correctly reported the __SAMBA__
entry with a <00> on the end at the correct IP address.

TEST 5: CONDITIONAL FAIL
ran nmbclient -B client '*' and it reports:
	name_query failed to find name *

However I don't believe this has a bearing on the problem I'm having.  All
our clients have a DNS entry for their host name and I have left the
default Samba settings alone, so it should fall back to this.

TEST 6: PASS
ran nmblookup -d 2 '*' and it reported a few responses.  The client that's
part of this test was NOT listed, but the Samba server was along with a
windows 95 machine (almost all the other machines on our network are either
NT or 2000).

TEST 7: PASS
ran nmbclient //server/share -- after suppling the correct password I was
connected.  I was able to successfully do a get, put, dir and cd.

Note that the size info line reports this:
	34716 blocks of size 131072, 18147 blocks available
Although a block size of 131072 seems rather strange, multiplying out the
numbers gives the same values as df.

TEST 8: PASS
ran net view //server on the NT 2000 client.  The available share was
correctly listed.

TEST 9: PASS
ran net use g: //server/share on the NT 2000 client.  This worked and a
window opened on the desktop to drive G: showing the contents of the top
level of the share.

TEST 10: PASS
ran nmblookup -M workgroup (and also nmblookup -M -).  The both returned an
entry and the interesting thing was it's the Samba server.

I didn't expect that as I haven't bumped up the OS number, so I didn't
expect it to win the election.

TEST 11: PASS
 From the NT client, opened the network browser for the workgroup,
double-clicked on the server's name and double-clicked on the share.  The
share opened on the 2000 desktop successfully and displayed the contents of
the share.

Thanks,

Kyle