problems with multiple samba servers in 1 domain

Scott Smith scott at pixo.com
Wed Apr 4 17:30:43 GMT 2001

HI,

I've got a samba server acting as wins server and domain / local master.
It has a few shares which can be accessed fine.  It is running FreeBSD
w/samba 2.0.7.

I have another machine running Linux w/2.0.7 that has a couple shares that
is also accessed with no problems.

I have a third Linux machine w/2.0.7 that just doesn't seem to want to
work when I give it a certain netbios alias.  I have tried moving the
netbios alias to one of the other 2 machines and it worked just fine.  I
guess the best way for me to describe it is to paste my configs and some
output from smbclient..

This is the domain master ------>

<<
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        printer driver file = /usr/local/etc/printers.def
        max log size = 5000
        domain master = yes
        guest account = nobody
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        netbios aliases = krypton
        netbios name = marilyn
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        security = share
        map to guest = bad user
        printer driver location = \\marilyn\pdrivers
        os level = 65
        username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusers
        server string = File Server
        wins support = yes
        remote announce = 172.16.63.255 10.2.255.255

This is the Linux machine that works fine ----->

<<
[global]
        dns proxy = no
        security = user
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        server string = Web Staging Server
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        netbios aliases = staging
        netbios name = Mercury
        max log size = 500
        preferred master = no
        local master = no

This is the Linux machine that has problems ----->

<<
[global]
        dns proxy = no
        security = user
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        server string = intranet web server
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        netbios aliases = pixo_net
        netbios name = carbon
        preferred master = no
        username map = /etc/smbusers
        local master = no

Here is the problem I am seeing ---->

<<
smbclient -L marilyn (domain master) correctly shows:

        PIXO_NET             intranet web server

smbclient -L PIXO_NET correctly shows ----->

<<
scott at carbon:~% smbclient -L PIXO_NET
added interface ip=10.2.255.16 bcast=10.2.255.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 10.2.255.16 )
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TACIT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        Web_files      Disk      Pixo net web files

HOWEVER, if I am on a different subnet, then I get:

<<
asdf% smbclient -L PIXO_NET
added interface ip=172.16.0.254 bcast=172.16.63.255 nmask=255.255.192.0
Connection to PIXO_NET failed
asdf%

If I take out pixo_net from netbios aliases on the broken linux machine
and put it on EITHER two other machines, then it works just fine! i access
pixo_net just fine.  Windows machines from the other subnet can see the
pixo_net server alias when they go to entire network, but Windows says it
is unavailable.

Help?

Scott