\\server\share%username

Christian Ospelkaus christian at core-coutainville.org
Wed Apr 4 12:41:26 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to access shares on a samba 2.07 server (user level security)
from Windows 9x PCs. The Windows 9x boxes all send plain text passwords, so
no problem with that. People need to log onto the Windows boxes with a login
name different from their linux account. The documentation says that there is
a \\sever\share%username method of passing usernames. However, if I try to
click on the "map network drive" in the explorer and try to connect to

\\giraffe\atoms%christia

(christia is the unix username), it prompts for a password and then says that
it is incorrect. The same happens if I do a

smbclient //giraffe/atoms%christia -U hallo

as user christia on the linux box (user hallo does not exist under linux). Am
I misunderstanding the documentation (which does not say very much about this
method of supplying a username) or is there some other problem? You can find
my smb.conf below. Best regards,

Christian

-----------smb.conf----------------

[global]