samba 2.0.5a and win2000

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Mon Sep 25 07:37:29 GMT 2000

Sorry for the delay, I'm behind on Samba mail..

[Juha Pesonen <jp at grenwill.com>]
> I have tried to get samba 2.0.5a on Debian Linux (kernel 2.0.36)
> working with window$ 2000 Professional clients, but browsing in win
> exploder doesn't work.

Windows 2000 has several known "issues" with Samba 2.0.5a.  Some are
resolved in 2.0.6 and others in 2.0.7.  As I recall, almost all are
actually bugs in Windows, which Samba works around, not that that
matters in a practical sense.  Note that Samba-as-domain-controller
will not work with Windows 2000 at all (except some alpha versions).

> I've also tried the newest samba release, but then nothing works, not
> even with win98 (due to kernel version ??).

Known problem with Debian's 2.0.7 package.  The problem is that Eloy
compiled Samba with 2.2 kernel headers.  Rebuilding from source
(apt-get -b source samba && dpkg -i samba_2.0.7*.deb) should fix it.

Peter