granting access to other linux directories

Ian Lipsky merk at personal-spider.com
Mon Sep 18 20:39:51 GMT 2000

I have a linux server already up and running. I'm trying to access it
through a win2k box.

I can access my linux home directory, as well as a public directory i
created initially. However, i'm trying to play with the permissions to make
sure i have everything set correctly and dont have more permissions then i
need. So I created another directory called test.

I did chown smbuser.smb test , and i also did chmod 2777 test.

But when i open my network neighborhood, i dont see it. And i tried
accessing it directly by typing in the path and it says it cant find it.

Currently, i can access the public directory and my linux home directory.
If i remove myself from the smb group, i can still see the public directory
inside network neigborhood, but i cant access it.

However, nothing i do seems to give me access to the test directory. Can
anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong? What are the steps to making a
new directory and allowing all samba users access to it? Or for that
matter, how can i give all samba users the same access permissions they
would have as if they were logged into the shell? I also tried stopping and
start smb but it didnt have any effect I could see.

thanks