Samba Dropping Mounts - "Broken Pipe" msgs

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Sep 18 12:51:54 GMT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Has anyone experienced Samba dropping mounts? (NT shares).

Everyone using smbfs I believe ...

> again. But after an undetermined amount of time Samba just drops them again
> and I have to remount them again. Does anyone know of a fix to this problem
> (with the latest version)?

I can right now remember 2 ways to get this.

1. If the server is down while someone is accessing the smbfs mount
   smbmount will terminate. Apply one of the "fixes" patches
       http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html

2. There is a signal related problem that will kill smbmount in some
   versions of the kernel. Upgrade to 2.2.18-preX or 2.4.0-test8 or later,
   those versions contain a workaround. If this is your problem you should
   get messages like this in your kernel log:
       smb_retry: caught signal

If this does not match/work, come back with kernel version and kernel
logs from when a mount stops working.

/Urban