Printing from NT to SAMBA: are 10 seconds ok?

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Sep 14 23:51:05 GMT 2000

At 16:51 14/09/00 +0200, rwagner at zeunastaerker.de wrote:

>What happens during the missing 7 seconds ??

Windows is a bit non-deterministic about this sort of thing, but if yours
is like mine that is probably the time it spent spooling the printjob
locally and thinking about it before actually contacting the server. If you
actually see heavy network traffic between the NT box and Samba during this
time (prior to the first debug message) then I am wrong. If you're unsure
then it might not be a bad idea to use a firewalling rule (I think the util
for AIX is just called "ip" but I could be mistaken) to log all SMB traffic
while this happens.
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?