smbmount on NT4 shares disconnecting randomly

Matt Doyle matt_the_bishop at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 11:35:58 GMT 2000

Apologies if this issue has been thrashed out already, but I'm having
problems with using smbmount on samba 2.0.6 on Red Hat Linux 6.2 with the
shares being dropped randomly.  This can happen minutes or many hours after
the share is mounted.

I've heard of this problem before and the usual solution offered is to
remount the shares.  However, when I try to smbmount the share it says it is
already mounted, and when I try an smbumount I get an input/output error and
can't umount it.  The only solution is to reboot the Linux box (logging out
doesn't help).

To mount the shares, I'm using .bash_profile entries as follows:

/usr/bin/smbmount //NTSERVER/sharename /home/matt/sharename -o
username=matt,password=pwd,uid=matt,gid=users,fmask=777,dmask=777,ip=192.168.0.2

This is so that each user gets their own mounts when they log in.  I've also
tried it with fstab with the same disconnection problem, but switched to
.bash_profile so that remounts don't require a reboot (in theory, at
least!).

I had a look at the release notes for 2.0.7 and it didn't mention any fixes
for this problem, so I've stuck with 2.0.6 for now.

Does anyone know how to stop the disconnections from occurring?  If not, any
suggestions on how I can remount the shares without rebooting?

Thanks!
Matt