Tamworth Borough Council - New Installation of SAMBA

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Fri Oct 27 10:03:37 GMT 2000

"Marchant, Martin" wrote:

> We have numerous printers connected to the unix server through our
> structured cabling (some run through print servers) and I want to confirm
> that if I install the SAMBA software it will not affect the printers that
> are already setup.

Shouldn't be a problem. Samba doesn't really get involved with printing
at all - the windows print support amounts only to understanding print
requests sent by clients, and forwarding them to the underlying lpr
software on your box.

> Plus are there any other areas that I should/could be
> concerned about. We already have a version of SAMBA installed on another
> Unix server in the authority but I have no experience of the software
> myself.

Nothing major that springs to mind. A lot depends on what you want to
use it for. You're probably best instaliing it and coming back to  the
list with specifics problems, if you have any...

HTH,

Mike.